The things you find...
Ok. So I knew the cab was full of crap when I bought it. But it
was gross ! I put a tarp over the truck so that I could leave the doors
open (and still keep the rain out) and let it air out. I put a mouse trap in
the cab and, to my surprise, only caught one mouse. I let it air out for a
few days, before doing any work at all on it. At first, I could smell the
truck when I was within about 20 feet of it. But we finally got a break in
the rain and I was able to remove the tarp and leave the doors open and
let the sun do its magic. When it got to where I could only smell the truck
when I was close enough to touch it, I decided it was ok to begin.

I started by cleaning out all of the “spare parts” in the cab and
bed of the truck. There was a lot of stuff that had nothing to do with the
truck. There were some old, rusty tools, children’s toys, parts from other
old cars, and the mouse condominium of the decade. I can’t believe there
was only one mouse in it. Either he lived there alone, or the rest of them
bailed out somewhere between where we bought it and home. There was
mouse nest in the glove box. There was mouse nest under the seat. The
whole storage area beneath the seat was one big mouse nest. There was
mouse nest behind the seat. I guess the area beneath the seat became
too small. And I later learned that there was mouse nest in the overhead
console. It was packed from side to side and top to bottom, with the only
vacant space being the tunnels running thru it.

As I got the cab cleaned out, I was quickly coming to the
realization that the overall condition of the cab was “better than
expected”. It cleaned up fairly well. After removing the seat and getting
all of the crap out of it, I decided to use the pressure washer to blow all
the loose stuff out. The dirt, dust, flakes of surface rust, etc. Of course, I
would be careful to not spray the gauges, but there was nothing else in
the truck that mattered if it got wet. As it turned out, this was a stupid
idea. The gauges were fine. But even with both doors wide open and the
windshield open, I don’t think even a single bit of crud actually left the
cab. All I accomplished was to very quickly create a whirlwind of crud in
there and, with a little moisture, it was now stuck everywhere (except
the floor). So I left the doors open and let it dry out for a couple of days
and then went back to wipe it all down. But it no longer smells!!

I found some parts for the truck that I didn’t know I had, but for
the most part, I found nothing exciting or of any real value. I learned that
the truck has been several colors over its life. My belief is that it started
out green with black fenders and has been blue, black and very light blue
or white over the years. The engine is designated as a Plymouth engine,
based on the engine serial number. The VIN number on the title matches
that of the engine, which is the way many of these were titled “back in
the day”. I don’t know if this truck would have come from the plant with a
Plymouth engine but the title, when I got it, was thirty years old. So it has
had this engine since at least 1984.
I will add more to the story as the project progresses. So please check back from time to time. (And sorry about the dark picture. It came from my cell phone.)